Caught In The Act – Courtney Act
Boy, Girl. Artist, Advocate. Courtney Act is more than just the sum of her parts. Entering the 2018 UK Celebrity Big Brother house with the wardrobe malfunction seen ‘round the world, Courtney quickly proved she was no ordinary celebrity housemate. Her iconic blend of heart and humor- brains and beauty- won the world’s heart and the competition! Instead of throwing insults and Chardonnay like a “Housewife” she engaged and challenged her housemates, and the viewers, as human beings. In doing so, Courtney raised our consciousness in matters of gender and sexuality and became one of the most influential CBB winners in memory.
And yet, Courtney Act is more than just gender or drag. She is a contemporary artist who embodies the zeitgeist of an era. One of the first artists to show their gender fluidity as well as their natural talents when boy, Shane Jenek, was passed by during the auditions for season one of Australian Idol, he came back the next day as girl: Courtney Act. Courtney showed the judges so much more than her music ability and went on to be one of the most iconoclastic contestants the show has ever seen and was signed to Sony/BMG; embarking on a national arena tour with her fellow Idols.
In 2014 she returned to the television arena as one of the Top 3 in Season 6 of the Emmy Award-winning RuPaul’s Drag Race. Though she didn’t steal the crown, she did steal the hearts of millions of viewers around the world. Courtney then released her debut EP, Kaleidoscope, featuring mainstream pop beats and lux music videos featuring collaborations with Jake Shears (Scissor Sisters), Sam Sparro (Black & Gold), William Baker (Kylie Minogue), The Squared Division (Katy Perry, Ariana Grande, Nicki Minaj). Her videos online have been viewed over 40 million times.
Proving once and for all that she was more than just a voice and a body, Courtney took on a number of controversial social causes and stories in her award-nominated political series American Act on Junkee.com. The series has had over 6 million views and saw Act fire a gun, smoke marijuana, and attend a Trump rally in drag.
2017 marked the international tour of her original show: The Girl From Oz. This sold out world tour visited North America, Australasia and the UK and culminated in her debut at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe with 4 & 5 star reviews.
“Her voice is astounding… you won’t be able to take your eyes off her” – Ed Fest Mag.
Not one for resting on her stilettoed laurels, 2018 will see Courtney’s own late night variety/chat show “The Courtney Act Show” come to Channel 4 as she plows full steam ahead out of the Celebrity Big Brother house into her all new world tour Courtney Act: Under the Covers.
- Celebrity Big Brother UK 2018 – Winner
- American Act on Junkee.com – political series
- Battle Of The Seasons – European & North American bus and truck tour with Live Nation & AEG Live
- Fader Magazine – Top 10 to Watch
- “Why Drag?” book by Magnus Hastings – cover model
- Sydney Opera House – Gentlemen Prefer Blokes, sold out season with Trevor Ashley
- Sydney Symphony Orchestra – special guest performance with Conchita Wurst
- Life Ball, Vienna special guest performer 2014, 2015
- Las Vegas Tourism TVC
- Performed with Miley Cyrus 2015 MTV Video Music Awards
- MTV Australia Gust VJay
- Sydney Mardi Gras, Global Ambassador & headliner performance w/ Jake Shears (Scissor Sisters)
- Billboard, ARIA, & iTunes chart entries
- American Apparel Ad Girl International campaign and official artist tshirt
- San Francisco Symphony Orchestra, special guest performance
- Rocky Horror Show Frank’n’furter
- RuPaul’s Drag Race, season 6 Top 3
- NYFW, LA Fashion Week, Australian Fashion Week – model
- Lady Gaga performer at her private birthday party, opened for Australian club performances and appeared in lyric video for “Applause”
- Rent the musical – Angel
- Face of Sheer Cover makeup seen across all Australian commercial TV networks
- FHM Magazine 100 Most Beautiful Women In The World
- Out Magazine’s Out 100
- Sony/BMG, Recording Artist 2003, 2004
- Australian Idol, season 1 semifinalist
- Mr Tiny Tot, 1987