Caught In The Act – Courtney Act
Gender is at the forefront of pop culture, the world is awakening to the idea that everything may not just be black and white. Courtney Act is an emerging artist who captures this zeitgeist. She breaks the rules and lives life on the gender divide, sometimes as a girl, and sometimes as a boy. She’ a pop star in the making for the new generation that is beyond labels.
This summer Courtney is releasing her debut EP, Kaleidoscope. She has teased with 6 previous single releases, including entries in the Billboard, ARIA and iTunes charts. Her videos have racked up over 12 million views on YouTube and her Kickstarter for the EP broke through its funding goal in under a week. She’s been in the studio, on and off, for the last two years writing with Sam Sparro (Black & Gold), Jake Shears (Scissor Sisters), The Prodigal & Chris Arnott to create this commercial electro/pop release with tones of Tov Lo, Kylie & Robyn. The EP explores the themes of gender, sexuality, self expression and of course this girl also just wants to have fun.
Courtney broke out of the box in 2003 when she was the first openly queer and gender diverse contests on talent reality show in the world. Sydney boy, Shane Jenek, auditioned for the first season of Australian Idol. Not quite making the cut he bent the rules and his gender, returning the next day as Courtney Act and made it through to the semifinals. She was signed to Sony/BMG and embarked on a national arena tour with her fellow Idols.
Growing up in Australia, Courtney now lives in Los Angeles and has spent the last year touring North American, Australian the UK & Europe in the wake of being top 3 on RuPaul’s Drag Race.
She’s a Prius driving, vegan, pansexual, polyamorous, genderqueer, hippy child who is passionate about human rights, the environment and James Franco whom she one day hopes to marry. She loves going to Burning Man, her current favorite app is Periscope and her right testicle once popped out on stage. She also has a webbed toe.
- Life Ball, Vienna special guest performer 2014, 2015
- Las Vegas Tourism TVC
- MTV Australia Gust VJay
- Sydney Mardi Gras, Global Ambassador & headliner performance w/ Jake Shears (Scissor Sisters)
- Billboard, ARIA, & iTunes chart entries
- American Apparel Ad Girl International campaign and official artist tshirt
- San Francisco Symphony Orchestra, special guest performance
- Rocky Horror Show Frank’n’furter
- RuPaul’s Drag Race, season 6 Top 3
- LA Fashion Week, Australian Fashion Week model
- Lady Gaga performer at her private birthday party, opened for Australian club performances and appeared in lyric video for “Applause”
- Rent the musical Angel
- Face of Sheer Cover makeup seen across all Australian commercial TV networks
- FHM Magazine 100 Most Beautiful Women In The World
- Out Magazine’s Out 100
- Sony/BMG, Recording Artist 2003, 2004
- Australian Idol, season 1 semifinalist
- Mr Tiny Tot, 1987